Our publication: 19 January 2023
LNG Canada has been working for a lot of months in direction of a last funding choice on Section 2 of the mission, which might double the output of LNG for export.
A key query all through has been whether or not Section 2 may use emissions-reducing electrical energy from BC Hydro to drive the cooling towers that chill pure fuel into LNG.
Now LNG Canada says it must, not less than initially, use natural-gas-powered generators for Section 2 (as it can for Section 1), somewhat than electrical drives.
CEO Jason Klein says: “We will’t do a direct and wholesale electrification of the plant and the pipeline. It’s not doable at present as a result of the transmission infrastructure simply isn’t there.”
LNG Canada is discussing with each governments and BC Hydro when new hydro traces could also be in place. Lots of of kilometers of latest transmission traces are wanted.
As famous by Ellis Ross, BC MLA and longtime LNG champion, this raises the query of whether or not the BC authorities would approve Section 2 with fuel generators.
“Woodfibre LNG is authorized. Cedar LNG shall be authorized. Would possibly as nicely approve Section 2 for LNG Canada.” (Woodfibre plans electrical drive. So does Cedar LNG, a mission led by the Haisla Nation.)
Extra from Jason Klein: http://ow.ly/HzUk50MszKW
- In the meantime, Coastal GasLink appears to its gas-pipeline to LNG Canada to succeed in the end line, and “some start-up and commissioning actions,” late this 12 months: http://ow.ly/ReS750MszQH
- And a main Coastal GasLink contractor, Michels Canada, has signed agreements with six Indigenous-led corporations, for building of Part 6 of the pipeline: http://ow.ly/QQjG50Msy1R
LNG Canada will get two extra modules
The photograph above — taken by Grant Lutz — drew large curiosity on our and different social media channels.
On Twitter, Stewart Muir of Useful resource Works posted the photograph, and this: “Years within the making, LNG modules for the LNG Canada mission in Kitimat have arrived from Qingdao aboard this heavy load service. It’s a historic second for Canada’s international local weather agenda.”
And the Energetic Metropolis, primarily based in Fort St. John, reported on Jan. 11:
“LNG Canada obtained two 50-metre-tall modules earlier this week on the materials offloading facility in Kitimat.
“LNG Canada stated the modules are among the many largest the power will obtain and shall be utilized within the fuel liquefaction course of.
“The 2 modules arrived from China on Tuesday, as no facility in Canada may manufacture and transport by land this scale of modular infrastructure, in keeping with LNG Canada.
“One of many modules weighs 7,996 metric tonnes, and the opposite weighs 6,257 metric tonnes.
“The primary module arrived on the web site final 12 months, weighing 4,618 tonnes. LNG Canada stated the module will obtain pure fuel instantly from the Coastal GasLink pipeline, which reached the 80-per-cent completion mark by the top of 2022.”
Japan appears for Canadian LNG
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida visited Ottawa, and advised us how his nation wants and desires extra liquefied pure fuel from Canada.
The island nation is trying to change Russian pure fuel, which made up 10 per cent of its imports, with different sources.
Kishida’s workers stated they’ve “excessive expectations” that Canada may help provide Japan. And Kishida added: “The world is having an power disaster. We additionally need to have a more in-depth relationship with Canada within the space of power.”
However Nationwide Submit reported that our Prime Minister Trudeau stated nothing about potential LNG exports to Japan.
He did say this: “We all know that being a dependable provider of power is essential and we’re going to proceed to search for methods to be that dependable provide of power,”
However he added: We all know the world is transferring aggressively, meaningfully in direction of decarbonization, in direction of diversifying.”
Media was fast to notice that when Germany’s chancellor got here to Canada final August, searching for long-term LNG, Trudeau spoke as an alternative of potential hydrogen exports. Germany then signed for long-term LNG imports from Qatar.
Kishida additionally hailed LNG Canada as a ‘flagship’ facility: http://ow.ly/EP5l50MqH5x
Japan’s Mitsubishi Company, via its subsidiary Diamond LNG Canada, is a 15% stakeholder in LNG Canada, which is to start LNG exports to Asia in 2025.
And on social media, Woodfibre LNG unfold the phrase: “We’re the primary e-drive LNG facility in Canada. This implies our liquefaction course of shall be powered by renewable hydroelectricity, 14 occasions much less emitting than standard liquefaction powered by fuel.”
Canadian LNG good for the world
Coverage Journal’s January-February version included a particular complement on ‘LNG and web zero.’ It included these specialists:
- Stewart Muir of Useful resource Works wrote how Canada’s LNG ‘can play an essential function in decreasing greenhouse fuel emissions on the street to web zero.’ http://ow.ly/9YwB50Mqbph
- Greg Ebel, CEO of Enbridge: “Canadian LNG can play an import function in decreasing international emissions. . . . It’s not sufficient that we attain our power targets in Canada. We’ve got to take these assets to the international locations that want it – and assist the planet.”
- Ebel’s predecessor as CEO of Enbridge, Al Monaco: “Canada may have a task to play in supplying LNG to the world and be a world chief. . . . To be frank, we missed the primary wave of LNG improvement. However we’ve been given a second probability and we’re at a crucial crossroads proper now that we have to benefit from.”
- Edward Greenspon of the Public Coverage Discussion board: “The best contribution Canada could make to the worldwide and nationwide good is by additional growing our pure fuel. . . . The geo-political shifts so evident in 2022 now current Canada with a brand new alternative to get it proper – and the timing couldn’t be higher.”
Learn these final three tales right here: http://ow.ly/Fs1850MrfkW
Hydrogen and First Nations: an extended haul
Whereas our Alliance has ‘LNG’ in its title, we additionally help and focus on different types of power improvement involving First Nations, together with hydro-electricity, wind, pure and renewable pure fuel, hydrogen, photo voltaic, geothermal, nuclear, and biomass.
So we took a have a look at hydrogen and First Nations in our newest weblog:
“Hydrogen is a darling of clean-energy followers, a fuel that when burned produces solely water, and never the carbon emissions related to fossil fuels.
“An awesome hope certainly, however getting there isn’t that simple. We’ve got an extended method to go, and there are carbon prices in producing the hydrogen.
“Nonetheless, hydrogen is of a lot curiosity to a variety of First Nations in Canada, and a few are concerned within the early phases of growing Canadian hydrogen.”
ALSO IN THE NEWS
- From Coastal GasLink: Nice progress on the Coastal GasLink mission. Try our newest Connector publication: http://ow.ly/QJTN50Mre6t
- Alberta Premier Danielle Smith writes to PM Trudeau, urges Sure to Canadian LNG for Japan: http://ow.ly/uEgb50Mr9kf
- And right here’s why Japan’s prime minister sees LNG Canada as a crucial mission: https://bit.ly/3kboqtf
- Alberta needs spot on Canadian commerce mission to Japan, to speak LNG: http://ow.ly/1OUu50Ms8p9
- From JFJV Kitimat: It’s been fairly the journey since 2018. Watch this video on how a lot the LNG Canada web site has modified over the past 4 years: http://ow.ly/I2tN50MomOa
- From Woodfibre LNG: Our Group Partnership Program for 2023 is now open for functions: http://ow.ly/GhZ950Mm8rs
- Canadian Fuel Affiliation’s Vitality Nexus & Annual Technical Convention, April 17-20, Calgary: http://ow.ly/Oh4L50MreMK
- From the First Nation’s Main Initiatives Coalition, the Values Pushed Financial system Convention, April 24-25, Vancouver. http://ow.ly/rWEE50MnKe6
- Canada Fuel and LNG Exhibition and Convention, Might Sept. 11, Vancouver: http://ow.ly/YxcZ50LjFM1
- The Ahead Summit 2023, Might 17-18, Gray Eagle Resort & On line casino close to Calgary. Registration: http://ow.ly/Q8ZV50K7FYb (Word that there’s an Indigenous low cost.)
- The Worldwide Fuel Analysis Convention, Might 13-16. Our Karen Ogen-Toews is on the nationwide organizing committee. Convention web site: https://igrc2024.org/
Know somebody who could be excited about our publication? Please allow them to know they’ll subscribe right here, without spending a dime. You’ll additionally discover us on Fb, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
(Posted right here 22 January 2023)