Our e-newsletter: 30 March 2023
Woodfibre LNG to beat net-zero targets
Woodfibre LNG pledges its plant will likely be internet zero in 2027, 23 years forward of the federal goal of 2050, and three years forward of BC’s net-zero requirement for brand new LNG crops.
Woodfibre’s net-zero plan consists of electrification, new know-how, after which forestry carbon offsets for the hard-to-abate emissions which can be nonetheless left over.
“Woodfibre will likely be facility internet zero from the primary day of operations,” mentioned CEO Christine Kennedy.
Woodfibre has been working with local weather consulting agency Brightspot Local weather to validate its Scope 1 and a couple of emissions (direct and oblique) “to develop a reputable and defensible internet zero plan.” The plan doesn’t embody Scope 3 emissions, akin to upstream emissions from natural-gas extraction.
The forest carbon offsets for use come from the Cheakamus Group Forest (during which the Lil’wat and Squamish First Nations are companions) and the BigCoast Forest Local weather Initiative on Mosaic Forest’s lands. (On this, the Indigenous Protected and Conserved Areas (IPCA) Innovation Program is a companion.)
Cedar LNG and First Nations
The Cedar LNG mission in BC, led by the Haisla Nation, says it has the robust help of neighbouring Nations.
“Years of collaboration and constructive engagement with these Nations have helped to make sure the mission will likely be designed, constructed, and operated responsibly, whereas offering advantages by building jobs and contracting, coaching alternatives, long-term employment, and different measures that may contribute to financial prosperity within the area.”
The federal authorities, giving the mission a inexperienced mild to maneuver into the subsequent levels of approvals, sees as “low” the mission’s impression on “bodily and cultural heritage of Indigenous peoples, present use of lands and sources for conventional functions by Indigenous peoples, and any change occurring in Canada to the well being, social or financial situations of the Indigenous peoples of Canada.”
And Ottawa additionally sees “optimistic results by supporting self-governance and self-determination for Haisla Nation as the bulk proprietor of Cedar LNG, advancing reconciliation with this Indigenous group.”
However a few of Ottawa’s greater than 250 necessities and situations handle Indigenous points and potential impression on First Nations Peoples.
- In the meantime, the Nisga’a Nation’s Ksi Lisims LNG mission is getting set for the subsequent step within the environmental-assessment course of: http://ow.ly/H6kR50NpyJS
- The Ksi Lisims LNG mission appears for improve of BC Hydro grid so the plant will be electrified and cut back emissions: http://ow.ly/YbEk50NmvHH
- Vancouver Solar columnist Vaughn Palmer says the Ksi Lisims mission faces main hurdles: http://ow.ly/GpAT50NoozX
- And Vaughn Palmer says BC’s premier must ‘mild a fireplace below each B.C. Hydro and the B.C. Utilities Fee’ to make sure LNG initiatives can get energy: http://ow.ly/lEaM50Nrjpz
- BC appears to electrical energy to energy new crops (akin to Cedar LNG and Section 2 of LNG Canada) However how will BC feed the demand? ‘Assembly it won’t be straightforward.’ http://ow.ly/4KIO50Npofh
Indigenous clean-energy information
ALSO IN THE NEWS
First, a brand new occasion to notice: From Nation2Nation, the N2N Girls’s Gathering arising in Might at Smithers BC:
And Nation2Nation’s N2N Discussion board in October will return to being a three-day occasion:
- The Canadian Fuel Affiliation’s Vitality Nexus and annual technical convention, April 17-20, Calgary. Data/register: http://ow.ly/YJrI50NhrM1
- From the First Nations Main Tasks Coalition, the Values Pushed Financial system Convention, April 24-25, Vancouver. http://ow.ly/rWEE50MnKe6
- Canada Fuel and LNG Exhibition and Convention, Might Sep 11, Vancouver: http://ow.ly/YxcZ50LjFM1
- The Ahead Summit 2023, Might 17-18, Gray Eagle Resort & On line casino close to Calgary. Registration: http://ow.ly/Q8ZV50K7FYb (Observe that there’s an Indigenous low cost.)
- The Worldwide Fuel Analysis Convention, Might 13-16. Our Karen Ogen is on the nationwide organizing committee. Convention web site: https://igrc2024.org/
Know somebody who is perhaps thinking about our e-newsletter? Please allow them to know that they’ll subscribe right here, free of charge. You’ll additionally discover us on Fb, LinkedIn, and Twitter.