Our e-newsletter: 14 September 2023
BP to take all of Woodfibre’s LNG
Britain’s BP Fuel Advertising, an arm of vitality big bp, has locked up all of Woodfibre LNG’s future manufacturing.
Of Woodfibre’s annual output of two.1 million tonnes of LNG a yr, BP will purchase 1.9 million tonnes — and can be capable of take the remaining output on a versatile foundation.
“At present’s announcement demonstrates there may be demand for lower-carbon vitality as we speak and effectively into the longer term,” stated Woodfibre LNG president Christine Kennedy.
Woodfibre’s decrease carbon depth is available in half from its design, which can use electrical drive for the chilling course of quite than burning pure fuel to generate electrical energy.
Work begins on Woodfibre modules
Main development on the Woodfibre LNG plant and terminal facility is ready to begin up in earnest, and a Chinese language yard has began constructing the primary of 19 pre-fabricated modules for the undertaking.
“We’re within the last levels of making ready for the beginning of development in September and dealing on the entire last regulatory necessities and bits and items which are concerned in getting that executed,” stated Woodfibre LNG president Christine Kennedy.
The primary module — the most important of which can weigh about 11,000 tonnes, or a bit of heavier than the Eiffel Tower — is anticipated to ship subsequent summer season.
And FortisBC has commenced development on the 50-kilometre pipeline that can join the undertaking to its pure fuel provide.
As soon as in service in 2027, the Woodfibre facility will probably be run by Woodfibre LNG with Pacific Canbriam supplying licensed pure fuel from northeast B.C. and bp shopping for the LNG for cargo to abroad markets.
Squamish Nation is concerned with the undertaking as a undertaking associate and environmental regulator.
Enbridge bets extra billions on fuel
Canada’s Enbridge, a 30% associate in Woodfibre LNG, has made one other massive guess on pure fuel.
The vitality infrastructure big will buy three U.S.-based utility corporations by means of US$9.4 billion in money and US$4.6 billion of assumed debt.
It stated the deal will double the dimensions of its gas-utility enterprise, with about 7,000 workers delivering over 9 billion cubic toes per day of fuel to roughly seven million clients.
“At present, and for the long-term, pure fuel will stay important for attaining North America’s vitality safety, affordability and sustainability targets,” stated Michele Harradence, Enbridge govt vice chairman and head of its fuel utility enterprise
Indigenous clean-energy information
- $608M financing set for Apuiat wind farm in Quebec, with Innu Nation companions: https://ow.ly/ecPJ50PJR7N
- Newfoundland and Labrador provides World Power GH2 land approval for inexperienced hydrogen undertaking. Qalipu First Nation is a associate. https://ow.ly/C14M50PHfsI
- H2Naturally proposes to reap BC deadwood with the assistance of Indigenous companions, seize the carbon, and produce hydrogen: https://ow.ly/5bCp50PHPpE
- 4 First Nations search to steer proposed Ontario transmission-line undertaking: https://ow.ly/uXvx50PKPtiNunavut’s vitality company investigates the area’s geothermal potential: https://ow.ly/5Qhe50PHQAR
- Feds put up $25 million for Weavers Mountain wind-energy undertaking in NS, with Glooscap First Nation a associate: https://ow.ly/wLHl50PJOxA
- Bear Head Power and Eskasoni First Nation signal MoU on hydrogen/ammonia plan for NS: https://ow.ly/WBJL50PJRai
- Cost Up supplies undertaking funding for Indigenous communities and companies to buy and set up EV chargers. To be taught extra and apply, go to https://ow.ly/5XPw50PHfoU
- Indigenous Clear Power’s 20/20 Catalysts Program is accepting functions for the 2024 cohort of the capacity-building program: https://ow.ly/KNSI50PI3ch
ALSO IN THE NEWS
- Coastal GasLink pipeline making ready to just accept fuel by the top of the yr: https://ow.ly/zlzF50PJ4gB
- Can BC Hydro present the ability for electrical liquefaction drives at LNG Canada’s Part 2 growth? https://ow.ly/GJfC50PIzsB
- Stewart Muir: How can Canada be a part of fixing the necessity for accessible, inexpensive, safe and cleaner vitality in Asia? It’s straightforward: BC LNG. https://ow.ly/HxKe50PI1pj
- Case over Indigenous natural-resource rights on Prairies “might be some of the vital courtroom battles in Canadian historical past.” https://ow.ly/8TJG50PIZBr
- Ottawa plans to unveil its proposal to cap oil and fuel emissions this fall: https://ow.ly/O4qk50PHRW5
- Viewpoint: Why Indigenous financial reconciliation wants a seat on the vitality coverage desk: https://ow.ly/xAwv50PIjrT
Know somebody who may be fascinated by our e-newsletter? Please allow them to know that they’ll subscribe right here, without spending a dime. You’ll additionally discover us on Fb, LinkedIn, and Twitter.