Our e-newsletter: 28 September 2023
B.C. pure fuel: Montney leads the way in which
The Montney natural-gas play in B.C. and Alberta continues to dominate drilling exercise, manufacturing, and progress in fuel reserves.
This from the B.C. Power Regulator, which notes that within the final 5 years, fuel manufacturing in B.C. has elevated 40.2%.
The regulator’s new report says B.C.’s estimated remaining uncooked fuel reserves elevated 18.3% in 2022, as a result of added Montney growth wells. Of 374 wells drilled in 2022, all however one nicely have been drilled within the Montney.
B.C. had 9,988 producing wells in 2022 — 9,196 fuel wells and 792 oil wells. Of the 9,988 wells, 5,277 have been producing from the Montney formation.
The report additionally notes that 2.687 megatonnes of carbon dioxide had been sequestered as of December 2022, and acid-gas disposal has diverted the atmospheric launch of 8.822 megatonnes of sulphur dioxide.
Internet-zero LNG requirement challenged
The Enterprise Council of B.C. has raised issues a few B.C. authorities transfer to require new LNG tasks “to have a reputable plan to attain net-zero emissions by 2030 with the intention to proceed by the environmental evaluation course of.”
The province says: “This new requirement will assist be sure that proposed LNG services meet the Province’s situation that LNG growth suits inside B.C.’s legislated local weather targets.”
Amongst different issues, the enterprise council argues: “The addition of a internet zero plan as conceived will gradual the environmental evaluation course of and battle with earlier assurances the brand new EA regime would streamline, not complicate, evaluation processes.”
Proposed LNG services in B.C. embody the Haisla Nation’s Cedar LNG mission and the Nisga’a Nation’s Ksi Lisims mission.
The online-zero requirement is within the authorities’s Internet-Zero New Business Intentions Paper. That’s a part of its New Power Motion Framework, which adopted its CleanBC Roadmap to 2030, which was issued in October 2021.
The enterprise council has additionally ripped that Clear BC Roadmap, saying:
- “The aggressive timelines outlined in CleanBC ought to be judged in relation to the truth that doing so means the typical family in British Columbia will expertise an $11,000 discount in revenue over a comparatively brief time period.”
- “The topline result’s that the federal government’s personal modelling finds that CleanBC Roadmapinsurance policies will end in B.C.’s financial system being $28.1 billion smaller in 2030 than could be the case within the absence of its further insurance policies.”
The enterprise council’s full report: https://ow.ly/7b2t50POXej
Indigenous clean-energy information
ALSO IN THE NEWS
- Will BC have sufficient energy for proposed tasks, from LNG vegetation to hydrogen services? https://ow.ly/hHoB50PNv3t
- Canadian assets help Indigenous communities — one in every of six the explanation why the sector is important for Canadian prosperity: https://ow.ly/GmU650PMtl8
- Canada Power Regulator seeks a brand new commissioner. Indigenous candidates are amongst those that could also be given choice. https://ow.ly/7SIU50PMiq5
- From TC Power: Pure fuel is significant in our journey in the direction of a extra sustainable future. Why pure fuel issues: https://ow.ly/QhBt50PMLIR
- LNG Canada donates final $900,000 wanted for brand new CT scanner for Kitimat Hospital: https://ow.ly/QNTR50PPb8Q
- Video: How First Nations and Métis are more and more turning into homeowners of oil and fuel tasks: https://ow.ly/6a4s50POXwi
Know somebody who is perhaps inquisitive about our e-newsletter? Please allow them to know that they’ll subscribe right here, free of charge. You’ll additionally discover us on Fb, LinkedIn, and X (Twitter).
(Posted right here 02 October 2023)